[ISHMap-List] Citing Harley’s two versions of “Deconstructing the Map"

mapsgal mapsgal at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 18:28:59 CEST 2014

Dear All,

Thank you very much for all these excellent suggestions. Yes, as Matthew
notes, the dilemma is amplified by the Chicago style of abbreviated
footnotes and detailed bibliography. Thanks Matthew for catching that 6-9
typo :(
I somehow ended up with quotes from both the versions that’s why I have to
cite both separately. I don’t even want to think about the quote from the
second version not actually being Harley’s words. That would mess up my
mind completely at this stage. I first discovered Harley’s work through the
Writing Worlds piece and only later found my way to the original
Cartographica version. I hadn’t taken note of the difference in the notes.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Bibliographies can be so complicated. I have found that the most
problematic references are to popular books with many reprints and of those
the ones published originally in a different language by an obscure press
that does not list a place of publication take the prize! :) Husserl and
Foucault’s work are a nightmare and I am still struggling with von
Däniken—apropos given his alien fetish.
So far, last names beginning with I are my favorite for having the fewest
number of entries ;)

best,
Karen

On Wednesday, July 16, 2014, JB Post <jbpost2 at verizon.net> wrote:
>    Since both are cited fully, perhaps distinguishing by date of
publication might help to differentiate them.  It might be something like

>                 Harley "Deconstructing the Map" (1986) and Harley
"Deconstructing the Map" (1992).

>   JBP

active discussion on maps is back again.

> I am in the process of finalizing the bibliography for my book and I have
a citation dilemma that I need help with.
> There are two versions of Harley’s “Deconstructing the Map.” Both with
the same name but the second version in Writing Worlds is revised,
expanded, and the wording is different in places. I need to cite both
versions and my question is how best to do this given that Harley used the
same name for both the articles. Do I say: “Deconstructing the Map” (a) and
“Deconstructing the Map” (b) ? This looks very odd in footnotes and the
dilemma is magnified with the bibliography.

> I am hoping that others have run in to this issue before and that someone
has a solution for this vexing footnote and bibliographic issue.

> So far for the bibliography I have:
> "Deconstructing the Map." Cartographica 26:2 (1986): 1-20. 2nd rev. ed.
In Writing Worlds: Discourse, Text and Metaphor in the Representation of
Landscape. Edited by Trevor Barnes and James S. Duncan. London: Routledge,
1992, 231-47.

https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/ugHIP5cOMxDtnT_N1iOHaSA-eaW54QTlGlm6cWeLsTztLmjyZiaQGO5iCzO-MGezy0MDrIjPeV-miBnwZphFX93F4wjDUcXA3w=s0-d-e1-ft#http://static.avast.com/emails/avast-mail-stamp.png