[ISHMap-List] Citing *The History of Cartography*

Matthew Edney edney at wisc.edu
Thu Jul 17 13:10:08 CEST 2014

Dear All:

I've responded to Karen's points off-list, but thought that the list might appreciate knowing how we at the History of Cartography Project refer to the volumes and individual chapters in The History of Cartography. Of course, we use Chicago Manual of Style (CMoS), so that's what I'm presenting here. Others will likely have their own preferred styles, so modify to suit!

Re abbreviations for the volumes: if you look at the front matter of Volume Three — which is, of course, available online for free access at http://www.press.uchicago.edu/books/HOC/index.html [just click on the left-hand side links to access each volume] — you'll see that we use a simple scheme for abbreviation. For example, "HC 1" for Volume One ("HC" is in italics, because it is an abbreviation for an italicized phrase).

Re citing a full volume: the exigencies of preparing the volumes mean that each has different editors, so that each volume should be treated as its own work. In the following list, dates for future volumes are as currently scheduled:

	Harley, J. B., and David Woodward, eds. Cartography in Prehistoric, Ancient, and Medieval Europe
		and the Mediterranean. Vol. 1 of The History of Cartography. Chicago: University of Chicago
		Press, 1987.

	Harley, J. B., and David Woodward, eds. Cartography in the Traditional Islamic and South Asian
		Societies. Vol. 2.1 of The History of Cartography. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1992.

	Harley, J. B., and David Woodward, eds. Cartography in the Traditional East and Southeast Asian
		Societies. Vol. 2.2 of The History of Cartography. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1994.

	Woodward, David, and G. Malcolm Lewis, eds. Cartography in the Traditional African, American,
		Arctic, Australian, and Pacific Societies. Vol. 2.3 of The History of Cartography. Chicago:
		University of Chicago Press, 1998.

	Woodward, David, ed. Cartography in the European Renaissance. Vol. 3 of The History of
		Cartography. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2007.

	Edney, Matthew H., and Mary S. Pedley, eds. Cartography in the European Enlightenment. Vol. 4
		of The History of Cartography. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2018.

*	Kain, Roger J. P., ed. Cartography in the Nineteenth Century. Vol. 5 of The History of Cartography.
		Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2021.

	Monmonier, Mark, ed. Cartography in the Twentieth Century. Vol. 6 of The History of Cartography.
		Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2015.

* … just to confuse bibliographers and library catalogers, Volume Five has not only a volume editor but also coeditors, Imre Demhardt and Carla Lois, who were involved in the volume design, but I do not know at this time how we will be citing them!

We do not encourage people to cite the entire series as one thing, but if one should want to do so, I'm currently thinking something along the lines of:

	Harley, J. B., David Woodward, G. Malcolm Lewis, Matthew H. Edney, Mary S. Pedley, Roger J. P.
		Kain, and Mark Monmonier, eds. The History of Cartography. 6 vols. in 12 books. Chicago:
		University of Chicago Press, 1987–2021.

Re citing individual chapters: this is just like citing a chapter of any edited book, only with a bit more information:

	Woodward, David. “Cartography and the Renaissance: Continuity and Change.” In Cartography
		in the European Renaissance, ed. David Woodward, 3–24. Vol. 3 of The History of
		Cartography. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2007.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Matthew

Matthew Edney

Director, History of Cartography Project

goto http://www.geography.wisc.edu/histcart

         http://www.supportuw.org/giveto/histcart

         http://www.press.uchicago.edu/books/HOC  >>  free access to vols. 1-3

also Osher Professor in the History of Cartography, University of Southern Maine

http://www.maphistorydirectory.org/index.php/User:Edney.Matthew