[ISHMap-List] Completion of 1st Research Programme of the Sylvia Ioannou Foundation - H. H. Kitchener’s map of Cyprus (ed. 1885)

info at sylviaioannoufoundation.org info at sylviaioannoufoundation.org
Tue Mar 7 09:36:30 CET 2017

Dear colleagues,

The Sylvia Ioannou Foundation is proud to officially announce the successful completion of its 1st Research Programme, entitled ‘Creation of the Cartographic Database and Development of a Web Application presenting the geographic Information of Kitchener’s Map of the Island of Cyprus (edition of 1885)’.

The map in question (see attached picture) was the result of the first scientific mapping of Cyprus and constituted a true milestone in the cartography of the island. However, much of the detailed information of geographical, historical and cultural interest it includes has not been thoroughly investigated by the scientific community.

The Geography Department of Harokopio University in Athens, with funding of the Sylvia Ioannou Foundation, undertook the implementation of this research project (based on a copy of the 1885 edition of Kitchener’s map of Cyprus from the Foundation’s collection: M.0254) with two main objectives: firstly, the classification and organisation of the cartographic information in Kitchener’s historic map of the island of Cyprus and, secondly, the creation of a digital cartographic database of the map, using Geographic Information Systems [GIS] and digital cartography technology on the internet.

We invite you to watch a 5-minute training video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ0PoC6zD5k> and try the application here <http://www.sylviaioannoufoundation.org/index.php?option=com_users&view=login> or on the official website of the Sylvia Ioannou Foundation (www.sylviaioannoufoundation.org <http://www.sylviaioannoufoundation.org/>), where you can register or log in with the following credentials:
Username: user
Password: demo

In the hope that you will find the outcome of our 1st Research programme interesting, we look forward to receiving your comments.

Kind regards,
Dimitris Stefanou

P.S. The collection of the Sylvia Ioannou Foundation contains over 3.000 rare books, manuscripts and maps dating from the 14th to the 20th century concerning the historical heritage and cultural tradition of Cyprus. Our 3rd International Scientific Conference, held in collaboration with the University of Cyprus (Knowledge is Power: Nicosia, Nov. 2016), and the launch of our 5th Annual Scholarships Programme (for the academic year 2017-2018) were two important highlights in our recent activities.

 <http://www.sylviaioannoufoundation.org/>	Dimitris Stefanou   |   Sylvia Ioannou Foundation
info at sylviaioannoufoundation.org <mailto:info at sylviaioannoufoundation.org>
www.sylviaioannoufoundation.org <http://www.sylviaioannoufoundation.org/>