[ISHMap-List] the logic of atlas design

Ion Georgiou iongeorgiou at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 23:35:49 CET 2017

Dear all,

I need some references that discuss the logic of atlas design, or the logic
of the structure of an atlas. One particular topic of interest is the
hierarchical manner in which atlases begin with a world map and then
continue to continents, regions and countries, and so forth.

I am already aware of the following references:

The work of Ormeling

Keates' book "Cartographic Design and Production"

The relevant sections in Jacob's "The Sovereign Map"

A historical approach would be of especial interest, one that discusses how
the design/structure of atlases has changed through time. Perhaps there are
some treatises written between the 16th and 19th centuries that theorize the
design and structure atlases? Or some more recent treatment that synthesizes
historical perspectives on the matter?

I am most grateful for any assistance.

Ion Georgiou