[ISHMap-List] Greg Miller - our third speaker scheduled for Map Month May at DPL - also attaching announcements for our first two speakers

Lorraine Sherry lorraine.sherry at comcast.net
Sun Apr 15 18:18:08 CEST 2018

The Rocky Mountain Map Society is a non-profit organization dedicated to the
study and appreciation of maps and other items of cartographic interest. The
Society was formed in 1991 and is based in Denver, Colorado.

May 15, 2018 - Greg Miller: "Cold War Cartography"

Greg Miller

5:30 PM, Conference Room B2 Denver Public Library

This program is free and open to the community

During the Cold War, the Soviet military secretly launched one of the most
ambitious mapping programs ever undertaken.  These maps have only recently
come to light in the West, and they provide a fascinating look at how
American and European cities looked through the eyes of our Cold War
adversaries.  We'll look at several examples and compare them with American
maps made around the same time.  For anyone who lived through the Cold War,
these maps may bring back memories of those paranoid days of mutually
assured destruction.

Greg Miller is a science and technology journalist based in Portland,
Oregon.  He is the co-author of National Geographic's cartography blog, All
over the Map, and an upcoming book on mapmaking to be published by National
Geographic in October, 2018.  Previously he was a senior writer at Wired and
a staff writer at Science.