[ISHMap-List] Marica Milanesi's 'Vincenzo Coronelli'

Douglas Sims dougsims1945 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 9 02:43:48 CEST 2017

  September 8, 2017 Dear ISHMappers,  Richard Pflederer has recently published, in volume 99 (Fall 2017) of 'The Portolan-Journal of the Washington Map Society', a lengthy and very positive review of Marica Milanesi's 2016 book 'Vincenzo Coronelli, Cosmographer (1650-1718)', a superb work with more than two decades of research behind it. I have only one fact to add to Pflederer's review, which fact is, I think, of much importance. Professor Milanesi's work is the only full-length treatment of Coronelli ever to appear in English; furthermore, if I not err, it is the lengthiest and most comprehensive general work on Coronelli published up to now in any language, Italian not excluded. This knowledge much increases the importance of Milanesi's book to scholars and institutions, especially taken together with Pflederer's glowing assessment.  I might take this opportunity to mention my own work, on Giacomo Gastaldi, which I expect to complete within a half-year. It is also the product of more than twenty years of research, and will also be the first ever full-length treatment of its subject. Recently, my prospective publisher of 12 years and I have amicably parted company. Not being a denizen of Academia, this leaves me without a guiding hand in such matters as book layout and publishing. I would be most grateful to anyone who could provide me with information steering me in the right direction in these matters.  Sincerely and, in advance, gratefully, Doug  Douglas W Sims3516A Bayview AvenueBrooklyn, New York, 11224 U.S.A. 1-718-891-66841-347-554-0230 (cell) dougsims1945 at yahoo.com