[ISHMap-List] ISHMap Renewal 2018/ Announcement

Török Zsolt Győző zoltorok at ludens.elte.hu
Wed Dec 6 18:02:04 CET 2017

DearISHMap-Listers,

TheInternational Society for the History of the Map (ISHMap) has started its transformation. This process, like any dramatic change, is not to be painless. But we see it inevitable to act and ask for your support as the society serves all of us. We would like to renew ISHMap to better serve itsmission and preserve the spirit of our society. ISHMap should continue asan international scholarly society representing an emerging field: the historyof the map.

Other things must be changed. We are committed to the idea of an independent and democraticsociety, a community which offers equal opportunity to all members toparticipate in activities, and where decision making is transparent. To ensurethe application of these principles we suggest adopting a new format that better fits the needs ofa scholarly society and a simple organizational and administrative structure tobe able to focus on scholarly projects in the future.

To start a new societyyear in 2018 we would like you to consider remaining our member or joining therenewed ISHMap and participate in the online election and shape the future of thefield. More information on the renewal process will be available soon on ourwebsite and will be sent to subscibers to this list.

The current situation, as well as the series of events leading to thisemergency were explained in detail in a message to members, and it is available on ourwebsite.

ISHMap Renewal Executives