[ISHMap-List] AAG 2017 CFP: Cartographic reconstruction of environmental histories

Martin Lukas martin.lukas at uni-bremen.de
Tue Nov 15 12:26:07 CET 2016

Final Call for Papers, AAG Annual Meeting, Boston, April 5-9, 2017
(http://www.aag.org/cs/annualmeeting)

*Session Title**:*

*Cartographic reconstruction of environmental histories*

*Organizer**:*

Martin C. Lukas, University of Bremen, Sustainability Research Center
(artec), MARUM – Center for Marine Environmental Sciences

*Session Description**:*

Historical maps provide significant potential for research into
environmental histories. They often represent the only source of
historical spatial information. Yet, most of their potential has not
been realised. The limited availability and accuracy of early maps and
intervening periods without cartographic surveys limit the temporal
scale and resolution of analysis, pose methodological challenges, and
introduce uncertainty. The further we expand our analysis of
environmental change into the past, the more our inquiry is constrained
by the limited accuracy of historical maps. While contemporary satellite
images and aerial photographs provide very precise and accurate images
of almost the entire world at resolutions of a few meters or less,
historical topographic maps from the nineteenth or early twentieth
century are marked by inaccuracies of tens or hundreds of meters, and
earlier charts only depict a small range of topographic features and
include completely uncharted territories. This is a dilemma, because for
a realistic understanding of environmental changes and their drivers, we
often want to look back at least a few centuries. Various questions and
challenges arise in this context:

§How to assess and compare the reliability of different historical maps?

§At minimum, how accurate must historical maps be in order to be used
for which kind of analysis?

§Where does the extent of map inaccuracy delimit the temporal scale of a
historical cartographic analysis of environmental change?

§How can analyses of earlier maps with comparably low levels of accuracy
or completeness be combined with analyses of more recent, more accurate
maps and satellite images?

§What are the limits and pitfalls of cartographic reconstructions of
historical environmental change? How can such pitfalls be avoided?

In order to foster scholarship at the intersection between historical
cartography and environmental history and to advance and share
knowledge, I seek papers that present any kind of cartographic
reconstructions of historical environmental change, that analyse
historical maps quantitatively or qualitatively, that link environmental
and cartographic histories, or that relate to any of the questions
raised above. Conceptual, methodological as well as empirical
contributions are welcome.

Please email your abstract of up to 250 words to Martin Lukas
(martin.lukas at uni-bremen.de <mailto:martin.lukas at uni-bremen.de>) by
Wednesday, November 16th. Successful applicants will need to submit
their abstracts online to the AAG by November 17th.

--
Dipl. Geogr. Martin C. Lukas
artec Forschungszentrum Nachhaltigkeit

Associate Scientist
GLOMAR - Bremen International Graduate School for Marine Sciences
MARUM – Center for Marine Environmental Sciences

University of Bremen
Enrique-Schmidt-Str. 7
28359 Bremen

Phone: +49-421-218 61851