[ISHMap-List] Citing Harley’s two versions of “Deconstructing the Map"

Matthew Edney edney at usm.maine.edu
Wed Jul 16 13:15:12 CEST 2014

Dear Karen:

I have fortuitously avoided this problem because, when I have had to refer to both essays in the same work, it has been for journals that use the author-date citation system: Harley 1989, Harley 1992 . . . won't work I know for Chicago Style!

I would recommend, in notes:

	1989 essay: "Deconstructing the Map"
	1992 essay: "Deconstructing the Map," rev ed.

and in bibliography as you suggest except, original date is 1989 (ahem!) and I'd reword the beginning of the further citation to just "Revised edition in Writing Worlds…" as there is no actual edition number (see Chicago Manual of Style 17.79 [15th ed]). Alternatively, you could put the two works as separate entries in the bibliography:

	Harley, J. B. "Deconstructing the Map." Cartographica …
	———. "Deconstructing the Map." Revised edition. In Writing Worlds ...

To be honest, though, I find the changes in the revision to be so minor and they were not Harley's work -- Barnes & Duncan rewrote the introduction somewhat to make it a bit more theoretically apropos -- that I don't really find much use for the revision. Certainly the small edits to the body of the paper were all minor. Also, as Paul Laxton noted in the notes to his introduction to the New Nature of Maps (note 11 on pp. 210-11), the revised edition cut the "substantial material in the notes" which is why he reprinted the original essay in the 2001 collection.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Matthew

On Jul 15, 2014, at 10:38 PM, mapsgal <mapsgal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings Maphisters :)
>
> I see that we have moved to the ISHM list server. I hope this means that active discussion on maps is back again.
>
> I am in the process of finalizing the bibliography for my book and I have a citation dilemma that I need help with.
> There are two versions of Harley’s “Deconstructing the Map.” Both with the same name but the second version in Writing Worlds is revised, expanded, and the wording is different in places. I need to cite both versions and my question is how best to do this given that Harley used the same name for both the articles. Do I say: “Deconstructing the Map” (a) and “Deconstructing the Map” (b) ? This looks very odd in footnotes and the dilemma is magnified with the bibliography.
>
> I am hoping that others have run in to this issue before and that someone has a solution for this vexing footnote and bibliographic issue.
>
> So far for the bibliography I have:
> "Deconstructing the Map." Cartographica 26:2 (1986): 1-20. 2nd rev. ed. In Writing Worlds: Discourse, Text and Metaphor in the Representation of Landscape. Edited by Trevor Barnes and James S. Duncan. London: Routledge, 1992, 231-47.
>
> But this bibliographic citation does not help me with the footnote dilemma.
>
> Many thanks in advance!
> I hope everyone is enjoying summer vacations.
>
> best,
> ISHM mailing list
> ISHM at lazarus.elte.hu

Matthew Edney

Osher Professor in the History of Cartography (USM)

Director, History of Cartography Project (UW)

See http://www.maphistorydirectory.org/index.php/User:Edney.Matthew