[Icacogvis] ICC 2021 Abstract Deadline Extended & Other Commission Updates

Amy Griffin amy.griffin at rmit.edu.au
Tue May 25 16:02:58 CEST 2021

RMIT Classification: Trusted

Hello CogVizers,

We hope you are all doing well and would like to provide some updates on recent and upcoming commission activities.

1. The deadline for abstracts for ICC 2021 has been extended to 20 June 2021. You can submit your abstracts here: https://www.icc2021.net/
Please submit your CogVis related abstracts to T06. Cognition in Geovisualization.

<https://www.icc2021.net/>
2. The Commission has contributed to the organisation of an online workshop which will be held in conjunction with the AGILE conference on 8 June, 10:45-15:00 CET+1.

The workshop is titled: CYBERCARTOGRAPHY A Beyond State-of-the-Art Role of Geovisualization in the Understanding of the World.
You can find details about participating here<http://cybercarto.ntua.gr/events/agile2021/>. You do not need to be registered for the full AGILE conference to attend the workshop.

The workshop is hosted by Marinos Kavouros from the National Technical University of Athens and is co-sponsored by the ICA Commission on Visual Analytics and the ISPRS Working Groups IV/2 and IV/9.

3. On 6 May, we held a very successful joint online workshop with the ICA Commission on User Experience about Adaptable Research Methods for Empirical Research with Map Users.

We had 53 registered participants, with most continents represented among both presenters and/or attendees. This meant that some of us stayed up rather late and others of us got up rather early, but the scientific exchange was excellent and a lot of fun, making the odd hours worth it! See some of our happy faces below.

The workshop was full of stimulating discussions about challenges that we have all experienced in conducting empirical research despite movement and gathering restrictions since the onset of COVID-19 in 2020 and the creative ways that different research teams have solved these challenges.

The workshop included a mix of presentations, demonstrations, and discussion. You can find the slides and recordings of the presentations here<https://cogvis.icaci.org/21_adaptable.html> at the Commission website. We are currently in the process of planning some follow-up activities. Keep an eye on the Commission webpage for updates on those activities.

[cid:2b6ed88d-eeb8-4f7b-9aa5-c44fea0b45de]

We hope to see you at some future Commission events later this year.

Cheers,
Amy, Pyry, & Petr

Dr Amy L. Griffin | pronouns: she/hers
ICA Commission on Cognitive Issues in Geographic Information Visualization (CogViz) Co-Chair

Senior Lecturer of Geospatial Science
School of Science
RMIT University
GPO Box 2476