[Icacogvis] Help a MSc student with her research?

Horst Kremers office at horst-kremers.de
Wed May 12 17:16:12 CEST 2021

Dear Olesia Ignateva,

Besides "school of thoughts" there are some "experts thoughts" around on the
needed innovations in Cartography.

I suggest the topic "Cartography as a Data Science" and refer to

-          my presentation in the 41st Polish National Cartographic
Conference
http://horst-kremers.de/Docs/20180919___XLI_OKK_Ogolnopolska_Konferencja_Kar
tograficzna__Gdansk____Horst_Kremers_Berlin.pdf

-          my presentation in  InterCarto-InterGIS 24, Bonn,  Geoinformation
and Sustainable Development
http://www.susgis.net/LNIS_9_Geoinformation_for_Sustainable_Development__Ber
lin_2020.pdf#page=93

While we have very good competences in applied Syntax and Semantics,
Cartography needs to devote essentially in the dynamics of Actions,
Processes, Workflows, Decisions, Behavior, (in science terms: "Pragmatics")
to complete the general triade Semiotics = Syntax + Semantics + Pragmatics.

I think it is vital for modern Cartography to deal with spatial needs of
highly complex and dynamic issues, cooperating in cross-domain and
cross-organization holistic information management and supporting
high-dynamic (Big Data: volume, velocity, variety, veracity and value)
decision-support for experts, operational agencies, practitioners and for
society at large.

The current pandemic shows the urgent need for such cartography paradigm
change in a convincing way.

My general suggestion: please not only compile from existing curricula.
Since your results are intended to shape Cartography strategies on national
and international level, the current deficits in Cartography curricula
and/or experts suggestions are the more essential details for stirring
urgent innovation for students' future in cartography R&D.

Maybe in the next stage of your studies you also have the possibility of
personal interviews - the ICC2021 Firence would certainly be a rich source
of knowledge in that direction.

If possible, please let me know about your final compilation.

Best greetings from Berlin

Horst Kremers

CODATA-Germany

Horst Kremers, Engineering Management and Information Sciences

P.O. Box 20 05 48, 13515 Berlin, Germany

mobile        +49 172 3211738   (also on WhatsApp)

FAX             +49 30 3728587

FON            +49 30 20878902

mailto:office at Horst-Kremers.de

 <https://www.horst-kremers.de/> https://www.horst-kremers.de

CODATA-Germany e.V.  <http://www.codata-germany.org/>
http://www.codata-germany.org

About CODATA:  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIAoAQu_qjs>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIAoAQu_qjs

RIMMA Community & Conference Series

Risk Information Management, Risk Models and Applications

 <https://rimma.org/> https://RIMMA.org

join eNews RISK_List :             <https://rimma.org/risk_list-membership>
https://rimma.org/risk_list-membership

messages posted are available from our Blog   <https://rimma.org/blog>
https://rimma.org/blog

Sustainability Information Management Community   <https://susinf.net/>
https://SusInf.net

GIS Berlin-Brandenburg communication list

 <http://www.kbx7.de/?lid=6332&c=list> http://www.kbx7.de/?lid=6332&c=list