[ISHMap-List] Search for a new Treasurer for ISHMap

Sarah TYACKE styacke at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 29 11:22:37 CEST 2016

Members will be aware of the great contribution our present treasurer
Sonali Siriwardena has made  as  treasurer of the Society since it was
founded  founded in 2011 at London ( University of London) She will step
down shortly as treasurer and the Society is seeking a new treasurer to
take her place.  As you may know  the Society is run  by volunteer
academics and others from  across the world. Its remit  is for the
advancement of the subject of the history of the  map  at all periods
and  in all countries.
  It  has a website for member subscriptions via Paypal and  news etc
which is hosted by the Department of Cartography and Geoinformatics,
Eötvös Loránd University in Budapest Hungary. See http://ishm.elte.hu/
for all the news etc.
It has a ListServ as well which is open to all scholars and those
interested in old maps to exchange information etc.,whether they are
members or not ( our charitable public service function).
  The Society's  main advantage as yet is to offer a discounted price
for the journal/Imago Mund/i to its members each year, in collaboration
with the directors of /Imago Mundi /and  the publishers Taylor and
Francis. As you will know already it puts on free symposia (Paris 2014,
Lisbon 2016 ) on the subject for members and for others who are
interested, - again in line with its charitable purposes.This done in
collaboration with the relevant institutions and universities in each
country to whom we are very grateful. The programme of the  present
symposium to be held in Lisbon 3-4 June 2016 is online at
http://ishm.elte.hu/ in case you have missed it.
The work involved as treasurer is onerous but requires expertise of
course.The bank account is held in London at present and the work is
entirely or mostly by e-mail with the team in Budapest. The usual duties
of a treasurer apply and we have a 'responsible person' who does our
audit each year.
   As chair I am now beginning the search for a successor treasurer. If
you are interested please contact me directly in the first instance.
  With all good wishes,
  Sarah Tyacke
Chair ISHMap