[ISHMap-List] what map this is - FOUND IT

Jay L carolinararemaps at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 20:36:06 CET 2016

...thanks to the extensive archive section on Barry Ruderman's web site:

http://www.raremaps.com/gallery/archivedetail/19625EG/A_Map_of_the_British_American_Plantations_extending_from_Boston_in_New/Gentleman's%20Magazine.html

and

http://www.raremaps.com/gallery/archivedetail/19967/An_Accurate_Map_of_the_English_Colonies_in_North_America_Bordering_on_the/Universal%20Magazine.html

New question... Can anyone explain those absurd boundaries? For example,
the NC/VA boundary has always been an east--->west line of latitude, and
had actually been surveyed in 1728 and 1749, well before these bizarre maps
were printed. Though of lesser interest to me, I find it most peculiar that
Maryland and New Jersey each have shoelines on the Great Lakes.

Thanks in advance for enlightening me.

Jay L.