[ISHMap-List] Announcing our RMMS spring-summer programs

Lorraine Sherry lorraine.sherry at comcast.net
Fri Apr 29 19:09:02 CEST 2016

April 29, 2016

Despite all the snowstorms, we're very excited about the opening day of
"Illusions, Delusions & Confusions," RMMS' 2016 Map Month, which begins
Monday evening May 1.  Sponsored jointly by RMMS and the Denver Public
Library, Map Month features two exhibits - one at the Denver Central Library
and one at the Jerry Crail Johnson Earth Sciences & Map Library at CU
Boulder - and six talks at Denver Public Library on Monday night from May
2nd through June 6th, excluding Memorial Day.  All lectures will be held at
the Denver Central Library Conference Center at 14th & Broadway, starting at
5:30 PM.  I'm attaching a detailed brochure to this message.  Parking is
available at the Cultural Center Garage (entrance on 12th Avenue).

RMMS Members will receive an invitation to "Cartifacts IV," our quasi-annual
"show & tell" and swap meet, to take place in Westminster.  It's a casual,
fun, social event with mini-talks and exhibits by RMMS members.  Please
bring and share your map-related items with your fellow RMMS members and
guests.  Refreshments will be provided.  "Cartifacts IV" will take place on
Saturday afternoon, July 23rd, from 4:00-7:30 PM.  If you haven't renewed
your membership, please click on http://www.rmmaps.org/membership.html  for
membership information.

We are already working on our fall 2016 programs.  On September 20th, Lee
Whitely will present a program at Denver Public Library titled "Trails to
Interstate: Transportation systems along the Front Range of the Rocky
Mountains."  Lee and his wife Jane are the authors of five books on early
transportation systems of the West.  Then, on November 15th, Chet Van Duzer
will present "New Light on Henricus Martellus' World Map at Yale (c. 1491):
Multispectral imaging and Early Cartography."    Chet has published
extensively on medieval and Renaissance maps in journals such as Imago
Mundi, Terrae Incognitae, and Word & Image.  Both programs begin at 5:30 PM
at Denver Public Library, 5th Floor, Gates Room, and are free and open to
the public.  For more details, please see the RMMS Web site at
www.RMmaps.org <http://www.RMmaps.org>

Lorraine Sherry, Secretary/Webmaster