[ISHMap-List] FW: Terrae Incognitae 47.1 (April 2015) Online - comment on The Representation of the West Indies in Early Iberian Cartography

Joaquim Alves Gaspar alvesgaspar at netcabo.pt
Fri May 8 12:19:09 CEST 2015

Dear Luís
and ISHMap members,

I waited
some time for comments before writing my own notes. Apparently there is a considerable
delay from the moment a message is sent to its distribution. According to the
ISHMap site, the discussion is no longer “moderated”. But is that really the case?

Now for the
subject under discussion. First of all I want to warmly welcome and thank the
comments of Luis Robles on my article in Terrae Incognitae. Indeed the question
he raised is relevant for my argument about the construction of Juan de la Cosa
planisphere. I knew about Petrus Martyr Decades but had not paid enough
attention to the details about the observation of the Pole Star (my poor Latin
is one the reasons to blame). Going through the details of the text it seems clear
that some crude latitude information collected before 1500, as described by
Petrus Martyr, may explain the placement of the Equator on the chart. This is
an important detail that fits perfectly into the puzzle: when we combine, on
the same representation, the approximately correct latitudinal position of the
northern coast of South America with the exaggerate latitude of Cuba (as
determined by Columbus), we get an oversized Caribbean Sea. The process is
explained in detail in the article.

Now for the
details. In 1500 the declination of the Pole Star was about 86 ½ degrees, which
means that it was some 3 ½ degrees from the celestial pole. The correction to
apply to its height above the horizon, in order to determine latitude, depended
on the orientation of Ursa Minoris in the sky, which varied along the
night. Such correction was given by a very a simple rule, named the Regimento
do Norte (Regiment of the North), created by the Portuguese in the 15th
century. However the Pole Star could only be used to determine latitude in the northern
hemisphere. Furthermore, and being a relatively faint star, it was only visible
when its height above the horizon was larger than about eight degrees, owing to
refraction. Knowing that the Spanish pilots were not still capable of using the
Sun to determine latitude, the possibility of astronomical observations having
been made near the equator was never seriously considered by the historians (I
included).

However
some crude latitudinal information in the Amazon region can indeed be obtained
from the simple fact that the Pole Star has just appeared or disappeared below
the horizon. Two parts of Luis’s table are particularly interesting: the one
about Pinzón losing the sight of the Pole Star when sailing southwest from the
Island of Santiago (which might mean that they arrived to the coast of Brazil
in the southern hemisphere); and the other, about going northward along the
coast and sighting the Pole Star again. Definitely I believe that this
information is a good explanation for the relatively correct latitudinal
placement of the equator in the planisphere of Juan de la Cosa. Thank you
again, Luis!

Now for the
last question: “Could the accurate latitude value of Veragua, obtained in 1516,
be one of the reasons why the anonymous 1519 planisphere shows lower absolute
errors in latitude than earlier works?” Yes, it could well be that the whole
region was displaced southward in the chart, based on observations of latitude
made in the Veragua region. However the Kunstmann IV planisphere of c.1519 has
some problems of reliability and I wouldn’t put much weight on such possibility
without confirmation from other sources. The problem is that many links are
missing!

Thoughts?
Joaquim Alves GasparCIUHCT - University of Lisbon