[ISHMap-List] Boston Public Library: Collections of Distinction (Koberger)

Török Zsolt Győző zoltorok at ludens.elte.hu
Mon Mar 23 11:16:37 CET 2015

Dear Listers,

Although not the entire book, some ten years ago I produced an original technology new edition of the famous Nuremberg Chronicle's world map in my private workshop.

The identification of that woodcut is more than easy for anyone who could see Schedel's work: it is my edition if the big foot guy (a Sciapod) appears in the panel of the monstrous races.

Actually, all the creatures along the left margin of my world map were taken from the verso of the 1493 edition. As a special treat, instead of monsters, I printed the new edition of the world map from Schönsperger's pirated miniature edition (1496) on the verso of my large woodcut.

As now we have quite a few digital reproductions available online it is no longer a problem to have a look at the 1493 edition of the world map - and occasionally make a comparison.

Regards,

Zsolt

Dr. Zsolt Török
Cartart Workshop