[ISHMap-List] responding to list posts...gift of map of China

Joel Kovarsky joel at theprimemeridian.com
Wed May 14 23:44:42 CEST 2014

On 5/12/2014 5:53 AM, postnikov at akado.ru wrote:
> Dear Joel and other Maphistors,
>
> I would not like you to think that I sent my references to show that I had been the "first" to research the complex history of the Russian-Chinese boundary's mapping. I had been, may be, the last to pay it a close attentionreally from the "Russian side".

In addition to Alexey's citations, I had forgotten about the article in
the latest issue of _Imago Mundi_ (vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 51-69):

"The China Maps of Jean-Baptiste Bourguignon d’Anville: Origins and
Supporting Networks" by Mario Cams,
DOI:    10.1080/03085694.2014.845949

The abstract:

"By 1735, Jean-Baptiste Bourguignon d’Anville had produced forty-one
maps of the Qing Empire, or China, a process significantly more complex
than scholars have hitherto appreciated. A close study of d’Anville’s
maps and their originals has revealed their relationship with the
different versions of a Chinese atlas, the first of which was completed
early in 1718, the outcome of nearly a decade of collaborative surveying
between officials of the Qing Empire and European missionaries. The
precise origins of some of the maps are identified for the first time,
and the network behind the remarkable intercontinental exchange of
cartographical material that allowed d’Anville to produce his China maps
is also discussed, thereby illustrating the central role of the French
Jesuits, as well as the connection with St Petersburg."

                   Joel Kovarsky