[ISHMap-List] cfp, Early Modern Art and Cartography panel for RSA 2015
egaffney at ashgate.com
Sun May 4 23:20:07 CEST 2014
Call for Papers
Renaissance Society of America, March 2015
Early Modern Art and Cartography (1400-1600)
Organizer: Elizabeth Ross, University of Florida
How did the production and circulation of maps and cartographic texts in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries affect the visual arts, especially pictorial works (painted, printed, or woven)? These centuries saw the circulation of multiple mapping systems and cartographic texts in new and traditional formats through the printing trade as well as court and other elite patronage. European voyages generated new geographies (physical, cultural, economic, etc.) that were integrated into maps and works of visual art. How did cartographic culture and the visual arts overlap and inform each other?
Papers might address one or more of the following topics:
▪ Collecting practices or interior decoration that integrates visual arts and maps
▪ Trade networks for books and other cultural products that entangle artists and cartographers
▪ Visual artists (for example, pictorial engravers) who also produce maps
▪ Books that integrate pictorial illustrations and maps with text
▪ Pictorial cycles that include maps
▪ Maps whose political, social, or cultural construction complements pictorial works of art
▪ The influence of mapping systems on pictorial representation and vice versa
Please send a 150-word abstract of your paper; a brief CV (300 words maximum with degrees awarded; institutional affiliation, and major publications); keywords; and full contact information to Elizabeth Ross, elizross at ufl.edu by June 2. The organizer is working with Erika Gaffney at Ashgate in anticipation of publishing a volume of essays on this topic.
Ashgate Publishing Company
110 Cherry Street, Suite 3-1
Burlington, VT 05401
Phone: 802-865-7641, ext. 304
E-mail: <mailto:egaffney at ashgate.com> egaffney at ashgate.com
Announcing Cultures of Play, 1300-1700, a new book series from Ashgate! For more information, see <http://www.ashgate.com/default.aspx?page=5166> http://www.ashgate.com/default.aspx?page=5166. Send inquiries to <mailto:egaffney at ashgate.com> egaffney at ashgate.com.
Ashgate’s email update extends exclusive promotions and offers to subscribers every month! Sign up at <http://www.ashgate.com/updates> www.ashgate.com/updates
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ISHM