[ISHMap-List] A critical review of the hypothesis of a medieval origin for portolan charts

Joaquim Alves Gaspar alvesgaspar at netcabo.pt
Sat Mar 15 18:07:50 CET 2014

Dear all,

I fully endorse Matthew’s opinion below. Cartometric analysis in only
helpful when its results are confronted and harmonized with historical
evidence. In this particular case, any explanation which does not take into
account the extant written sources describing the construction of charts,
the navigational methods of the time and the spatial distribution of
magnetic declination  is most probably wrong. The alleged resemblance to
Mercator’s projection is old news, as well as the Greek/Roman origin of
nautical charts.

The abstract in here:
http://www.descartescentre.com/index.php?page=newsandagenda
<http://www.descartescentre.com/index.php?page=newsandagenda&agenda=804>
&agenda=804 doesn’t help either. Its reading suggests that the author is not
fully aware of what has been done in the last years, for example by Ramón
Pujades. The historical research of Ramón suggests, for example, that
portolan charts were developed from the beginning of the 13th century on,
not at the end. This was confirmed by myself when associating  the tilt of
the Mediterranean on the early charts with the magnetic declination around
1200 in the area (see here: http://www.e-perimetron.org/Vol_3_4/Gaspar.pdf
). The idea that portolan charts are very accurate is not correct as we all
know. Not only they show large direction distortions due to magnetic
declination but also there are significant scale differences among the
various areas depicted.

Finally I wonder how the author conciliates his “new” theory about the use
of an explicit map projection in the construction of the charts with their
use in navigation. As well as with the extant written sources describing how
early nautical charts were made in the Renaissance. Anyway I really hope
that this thesis bring new and valuable material to the discussion.

Joaquim Alves

Joaquim Alves Gaspar

 <http://www.ciuhct.com/> CIUHCT – University of Lisbon

Homepage:  <http://lisboa.academia.edu/JoaquimGaspar> Academia.edu