[ISHMap-List] list serve message re: bicentenary Rizzi Zannoni

Oliver, Richard R.R.Oliver at exeter.ac.uk
Mon Jan 20 08:56:15 CET 2014

The method used by the Ordnance Survey of the United Kingdom was a combination of rigorous primary-level triangulation combined with zenith-sector observations of various stars. This was published in a monumental tome in 1858. If anyone 'out there' thinks this is an inadequate answer, then it may well inidicate why the subject has been neglected: many of we 'historians of carography' and allied matters have been historians or geographers rather than mathematicians or geodesists!

Richard Oliver
(B.A. and D.Phil., with a distinct bias towards 19th century political history...)