[ISHMap-List] Marginalia in cARTography

sandra saenz-lopez perez sans_lp at yahoo.es
Fri Feb 21 12:06:40 CET 2014

Dear Zsolt,
Tony Cambpell has wisely suggested that I send a notice through the ISHMap-List, so please, see below.
Thank you and best wishes,
Sandra Sáenz-López Pérez

Dear colleagues and friends,

I am very happy to share with you one of the most
beautiful and exciting projects in which I have been involved recently:
curating the exhibition Marginalia in cARTography that will take place at
the Chazen Museum of Art, Madison, WI (US), from Feb. 28-May 18, 2014. This
project was developed thanks to the 2012-2013 David Woodward Memorial
Fellowship, that I enjoyed last year.

Marginalia in
cARTographyexplores images at the
margins of maps, as this marginalia sheds light on the content and purpose of
the maps, their authors and patrons, and on the historical period when they
were made. It gathers 44 items from the 13th to the 20th centuries, from various US institutions.

It has been an intense job (selecting the items, organizing the thematic
sections, writing the catalogue, etc) but I have been able to count on many
people without whom this would not have been possible, especially the staff of
the History of Cartography Project, the Chazen Museum of Art, all the lending
institutions and others, and many more who have kindly helped me along the way.

You can find more information about it at the website of the Chazen Museum
of Art (http://www.chazen.wisc.edu/visit/events-calendar/event/marginalia-in-cartography/). The catalogue
of the exhibition is available in high resolution at the following link: https://uwmadison.app.box.com/marginalia.

I hope this project if of your interest! Thank you for
your time and best wishes,

Sandra Sáenz-López Pérez

CCHS· CSIC

Despacho 2B17