[ISHMap-List] CFP - Panel for the International Conference of Historical Geographers 2015

Madalina Veres madalina_veres at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 12:53:32 CEST 2014

Dear all,

I am a PhD candidate at
the University of Pittsburgh working on cartography in the Habsburg Monarchy,
and together with Dean Bond (PhD candidate, University of Toronto), we are
putting together a panel for the International Conference of Historical
Geographers (for more details on the conference: http://www.ichg2015.org), which will take place in London (5-10 July 2015).
The title of the panel is "Geographies of Early Modern War” and below is a
short description with some suggestions for paper topics.

Thank you for taking a
look at this and feel free to e-mail me or Dean if you have any further
questions.

Madalina
-------------------------------
CFP. Geographies of
Early Modern War

Although geographers
have done much to uncover the relationship between
geographical knowledge
and imperial projects in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries,
they have paid less
attention to the ways geography, war, and colonial projects
converged in the early
modern period (ca. 1500 to 1789). Therefore, this
interdisciplinary
session seeks to bring together geographers, historians, and other
scholars interested in
exploring the geographies ‘in’ and ‘of’ early modern war, namely
the ways geographical
knowledge figured in early modern wars, and how early modern
wars transformed
concrete, lived geographies in Europe, North America, South Asia,
and elsewhere.

We welcome contributions
from scholars keen to address such questions from
perspectives that
foreground themes such as ‘life geographies’, scientific practices,
cultural transfer, and
early modern war’s ‘global’ dimensions rather than military
history’s traditional
concerns. Also, we welcome and encourage proposals from
historians interested in
engaging with geographers and geographical questions. Papers
might address themes
such as:

* Geographical
knowledge, war, and the press
* Mapmaking practices
and ‘state’ geographers
* Religion and
geographical knowledge in confessional conflicts
* Life geographies of
scholars and publishers during war
* Geographies of reconstruction
* Patriotism and
geographical knowledge
* Knowledge transfer and
its geographies during war
* Seven Years War as a
‘global war’
* War and the
geographies of colonial expansion
* Geographies of war
narratives and their uptake
* War and the geography
of the book
* Peace treaties and
geographical knowledge
* ‘Balance of power’ as
geographical concept

Please send
abstracts of no more than 200 words by 1 September to Dean Bond
(dean.bond at utoronto.ca) and
Madalina Veres (mvv3 at pitt.edu)