[Icacogvis] Happy New Year & 2021 Commission Plans

Amy Griffin amy.griffin at rmit.edu.au
Mon Jan 18 14:01:49 CET 2021

RMIT Classification: Trusted

Dear CogVizers,

Pyry, Petr and I wish you all a very happy new year and we hope you are all staying safe in this corona-mess that has upended many things.

After a year in which almost all plans went out the window as we adjusted to the situation, we have now a full programme planned for 2021 and are writing to let you know about commission-sponsored or organised events and deadlines, to support your planning as you get organised for the year.

We hope you will find them to be of interest and will be able to participate in one or more of them. Obviously, the situation is still quite uncertain in terms of how fast vaccine uptake will happen and how much that will loosen travel restrictions, so most events are being planned flexibly so that if later-in-the-year events that we hope might be in person cannot be held in person, we will facilitate remote participation.

Below you will find the planned programme, with more details (e.g., CFPs, etc.) available at the Commission website:  https://cogvis.icaci.org/activities.html

---------------------------

In May:
Workshop on Adaptable Research Methods for Empirical Research with Map Users, co-organised with the ICA Commission on User Experience, 6 May, online workshop. 500 word abstracts due on 28 February. CFP<https://cogvis.icaci.org/21_adaptable.html>

---------------------------

In August:
Sessions on Spatial Cognition in the Mobile Era at the 28th Chinese Professionals in Geographic Information Sciences Conference, 8-10 August 2021, in Nanchang, China. Submission of full papers or abstracts by 15 March. Session details<https://cogvis.icaci.org/pdf/cpgis2021/cfp-CPGIS2021%20Spatial%20Cognition.pdf>, conference website<https://www.cpgis.org/Conferences/ConferenceDefault.aspx?ID=1076>, abstract submission<https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=2021cpgisannualconfe><https://www.cpgis.org/Conferences/ConferenceDefault.aspx?ID=1076>. If you cannot travel due to COVID restrictions, there may be a hybrid presentation option.

---------------------------

In September:
Workshop on Analytical Reasoning: Cartography, Visualization, Design, co-organised with the ICA Commission on User Experience and the ICA Commission on Visual Analytics together with the University of Warsaw Department of Geoinformatics, Cartography and Remote Sensing, September 2021, Warsaw, Poland.
As of January 2021, the GIScience conference organisers plan an in-person conference. See the workshop website<http://carto-vis-workshop.uw.edu.pl/> for the CFP and updated submission deadlines.

---------------------------

In December:
ICC 2021<https://www.icc2021.net/>, 30th International Cartographic Conference, 14-18 December, Florence, Italy. The conference is planned as a hybrid conference because of the travel restriction uncertainties. Full paper deadline, 19 March. Abstract deadline: 28 May.
**We are also planning a pre-ICC workshop; details of that will be forthcoming later in the year.

---------------------------

We hope to see you one way or another at some point this year.

Regards
Amy, Pyry & Petr

Dr Amy L. Griffin | pronouns: she/hers
ICA Commission on Cognitive Issues in Geographic Information Visualization (CogViz) Co-Chair

Senior Lecturer of Geospatial Science
School of Science
RMIT University
GPO Box 2476