[HistMap-List] Maps and Colours/ online lecture series

Török Zsolt Győző zoltorok at ludens.elte.hu
Thu Nov 5 11:15:43 CET 2020

Maps and Colours - a series of online public lectures at Universität Hamburg, Germany

coordinated by Dr. Diana Lange, MARKK Hamburg / Dr. Benjamin van der Linde, Stiftung Hanseatisches Wirtschaftsarchiv /

beide BMBF-Projekt „Kolorierte Landkarten“, Universität Hamburg

'Whenwe enter a map shop today, we would hardly find any map without colours. Colours and maps seem to have a strong relationship. Modern technical possibilities of designing and printing maps make it easy to create coloured maps. But our standard today is the result of a centuries long development of the practice of map production. Colours onprinted (and hand-drawn) maps have been an additional element over a long period of time and were not a ‘natural part’ of the map like today.

In this sense, the colouring of maps provides insights into the production, use and interpretation of maps by their producers and users since the beginning of this process. Therefore, a multi-faceted approachis essential for a better understanding of hand-coloured maps. With a cross-cultural historical approach and a wide range of international speakers from different disciplines we will address and discuss the material, nature and meaning of colours on maps from their individual research perspectives.'