[ISHMap-List] 'Cartographic innovations by the early portolan chartmakers'

Roel Nicolai rnicolai at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 13 22:02:54 CET 2017

Tony,

It appears we have indeed reached the natural end of this discussion.
I see little point in a repetition of the arguments I raised against a
medieval origin. I describe them extensively in my book, which, I will
repeat for the last time, contains considerably more than just cartometric
analysis.
I can only wish you the best in finding evidence that is able to demonstrate
the feasibility of charting based on mental maps only. This goes so much
against my knowledge and against 38 years of experience in mapmaking and
geodesy that I am unable to give serious consideration to that hypothesis.

Best regards,
Roel