[ISHMap-List] FW: Arctic Mapping Conference: National Maritime Museum

Nick Millea nick.millea at bodleian.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 14 16:18:38 CET 2017

Dear All,

Potentially of great interest.

Nick

From: A forum for issues related to map & spatial data librarianship [mailto:lis-maps at JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Megan Barford
Sent: 13 February 2017 09:29
To: lis-maps at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Arctic Mapping Conference: National Maritime Museum

Mapping the past, exploiting the future: cartographies and understandings of the Arctic.

National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London.

21-22 July 2017.

Royal Museums Greenwich will host an interdisciplinary conference which aims to interrogate the processes and products of mapping the Arctic, to coincide with the opening of a major new exhibition, Death in the Ice: the shocking story of Franklin's final expedition, about John Franklin's voyage to look for a North-West Passage, and the searches for those involved which followed. At a moment when the story of Franklin's 1845 expedition is being exploited by various commercial and political interests, we seek to broaden and deepen our understanding of voyages of exploration, surveying and mapping practices, and their subsequent narration.

This topic is particularly relevant given increasing nuance in work on the social and political implications of cartography, and recent moves in the history of cartography to include work on reception and use. Although the Franklin voyage and searches are the taking off point for the conference, we are interested in papers dealing with cartography in this region from the sixteenth century to the present day.

We particularly encourage papers on (though not limited to) the following

themes:

- surveying and resource exploitation

- countermapping in the Arctic

- Inuit mapping traditions and understandings of the landscape

- relationships between different genres of inscription

- mapping and surveying in unstable environments

- mapping and geopolitics

- administrative cartography and international law

We anticipate papers will be 20 minutes, with additional time for questions.

Please an abstract of no more than 250 words and a brief biography to research at rmg.co.uk<mailto:research at rmg.co.uk> by 1 March 2017.

http://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/researchers/opportunities-events