[ISHMap-List] Rocky Mountain Map Society - Upcoming Activities

Lorraine Sherry lorraine.sherry at comcast.net
Thu Mar 17 18:06:03 CET 2016

March 17, 2016

Wishing all map lovers a very happy St. Patrick's Day.  We're letting you
know about the wonderful array of activities we've planned for spring and
summer 2016.  As always, please check the RMMS Web site (www.RMmaps.org
<http://www.RMmaps.org> ) for the latest information and details.

On Tuesday, March 29th, we have the pleasure of hearing our stalwart
geologist, John Lindemann, discuss Marie Tharp's 1977 image of the world's
ocean floor.  This is a seminal map that helped make plate tectonic theory
the new reality - her rendition of the Earth with its oceans drained.  5:30
PM at Denver Public Library, Gates Room, 5th Floor.  Free and open to the
public.

May 2016 promises a lot of really fun activities with RMMS's "Map Month" -
again organized by our director, Chris Lane.  It's titled Illusions,
Delusions & Confusions, and focuses on myths and mistakes in early maps.
These are features that appear on maps, but not on earth: creatures that
never were, cities where none were built, islands where there are but waves,
lakes and rivers where there is but dry land, and kingdoms of non-existent
kings.  For those who love maps with sea serpents, sea battles, people and
creatures supposedly living at the edges of the world, this is not to be
missed! All presentations will be on Monday nights at Denver Public Library:
May 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, and June 6; all at 5:30 PM.  I'm attaching a file with
all the details.

Our big summer social event for RMMS members and their guests will be
Cartifacts IV - a fun-filled Saturday afternoon, July 23rd at Jim
Hensinger's clubhouse in Westminster.  We'll have a make your-own-sandwich
bar, drinks, a swap meet, a "show & tell," and all sorts of unique, map
related objects collected and treasured by our members.  So, please bring
along your road map place mats, coffee mugs, books, map ties and t-shirts,
astrolabes, unusual maps, and any other interesting cartographic artifacts
that you'd like to share with your fellow RMMS members.  Members may log on
to the private "Members Only Area" of the RMMS Web site and will also
receive a program in the mail with all the details.  If you're an RMMS
member and you don't have the login and password for the Members Only Web
page, please e-mail the Webmaster.

Lorraine Sherry, Secretary