[ISHMap-List] Announcing our summer RMMS activities

Lorraine Sherry lorraine.sherry at comcast.net
Fri Jun 10 12:32:52 CEST 2016

June 10, 2016

Chris Lane's imaginative program for Map Month 2016 was well received, with
its themes of sea monsters, mapmaking and mythmaking, geographical features
that never existed, and cartographic myths of the American West.  The
"Illusions, Delusions, and Confusions" map exhibit at Denver Public Library
and the "Mirage and Myth" map exhibit at the University of Colorado Boulder
continue through the end of June. The Telluride Historical Museum has also
opened a new exhibit:
<http://www.telluridemuseum.org/current-upcoming-events/> Treasure Maps:
Cartography of the American Southwest, focusing on the mapmakers of the
region.  It includes an augmented reality to create relief maps in real
time.

Get ready for "Cartifacts IV" - our summer social event for RMMS members and
their guests - hosted by Jim Hensinger in Westminster on Saturday afternoon
July 23rd.  Some members might not know what is acceptable and are therefore
hesitant to bring their doo-dad, whatever it is, because it might not fit
in.  Some examples: globes, restaurant place mats, pot holders, navigation
instruments, dishware, clothing, stationery, book ends, jewelry and
accessories, toys, household items such as ash trays and waste baskets,
etc., etc.  Anything with a map story behind it.  We'll have a "make your
own sandwich" bar along with assorted beverages, so please save the date and
prepare to have a good time.  There will also be an informal swap meet.
Don't miss it!

For membership information, please see
<http://www.rmmaps.org/membership.html>
http://www.rmmaps.org/membership.html, fill out the form, and send your dues
to Wes Brown. We welcome all our new members!  Please take the time to look
at  <http://www.RMmaps.org> www.RMmaps.org for the latest updates on RMMS
activities.  We also have a Facebook page - just search for "Rocky Mountain
Map Society" on Facebook, and no, you don't have to be a Facebook member to
see it.

Lorraine Sherry, Secretary