[ISHMap-List] From Wes Brown to RMMS: High Resolution, Digital Historic Maps of Denver.docx

Lorraine Sherry lorraine.sherry at comcast.net
Thu May 28 14:34:14 CEST 2015

News from RMMS and DPL - May/June 2015

Denver Public Library's Western History/Genealogy Department is pleased to
announce the addition of a new group of high-resolution, downloadable Denver
maps to our Digital Collection.  This addition to the WH/G Digital
Collection is an important step forward and goes a long way toward meeting
our goal of making all the materials in our department as accessible to the
public as possible.

Even better, the map collection, which focuses primarily on historic maps of
Denver, is available via our
<http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/search/collection/p16079coll39/searcht
erm/map/field/formatb/mode/all/conn/and/order/nosort> Digital Collections
Page and is free to DPL site users, no matter where they reside. If you're
interested in taking advantage of this new resource, here are a few things
you'll want to know.

Downloading the Maps

To download a map, just head over to our
<http://digital.denverlibrary.org/> Digital Collections Page. Once you're
there, click on the graphic that is labeled,
<http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/atoz/> Collections A-Z.   Once you're
on the Collections A-Z page, scroll down the M section where you'll see two
options for maps, Maps and Maps - High Resolution. Select the Maps - High
Resolution option and you'll be taken to a list of downloadable maps.

After you've decided which map to download, click on the title link. Now
you'll want to scroll to the bottom of the page and look for the link in the
Archival File field. This link, not the Download link at the top of the
page, is where you'll actually do the downloading. Once you've navigated to
this field, you're just a click away from downloading a high-quality,
high-resolution, historic Colorado map for your research.

Why Go Digital?

Here at WH/G we're tasked with two missions that don't always overlap. Our
primary goal, of course, is to make the materials in our collection
accessible to the general public. We're also responsible for preserving and
maintaining some very rare, and very fragile, items such as our map
collection.

Unfortunately, some of the items in our collection are too fragile to be
handled on a regular basis. Even the items that don't seem fragile or scarce
today will likely fall into those categories sometime in the future, and
it's our responsibility to make sure they don't get used so much today that
they're not in good enough shape for future generations to use.

Digitization of materials of this sort is a win/win because it makes the
materials more accessible to researchers, and also allows us to safely store
the originals in a climate-controlled environment.

Finally

We're extremely happy to be able to present this map collection to our
customers and welcome any feedback from the folks who are actually using it
in the field. If you have any questions or comments about this new digital
collection, please email us at  <mailto:history at denverlibrary.org>
history at denverlibrary.org.