[ISHMap-List] Conference Feb 19 and 20, University of Pennsylvania on Hand-Colored Books and Maps of the Early Modern Period

Chet Van Duzer chet.van.duzer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 23:24:29 CET 2015

[Many thanks to Joel Kovarsky for sending information about the
conference to the list a few days ago; the purpose of this message it
to issue a more formal invitation to members of ISHM]

Paint over Print: Hand-Colored Books and Maps of the Early Modern Period

Chet Van Duzer and Larry Tise, the organizers, would like to invite
you to attend "Paint over Print: Hand-Colored Books and Maps of the
Early Modern Period," a conference to be held February 19 and 20,
2015, at the Kislak Center at the University of Pennsylvania.

The goal of the conference is to bring together scholars and
experienced authorities who have looked at several different aspects
of hand-colored books and printed maps from the fifteenth to the
seventeenth centuries. Subjects to be addressed include the materials
and techniques used in hand-coloring, the connoisseurship of
hand-coloring, and how color alters the meaning of a printed work--how
the addition of color represents an interpretation or reinterpretation
of the work. We believe that the subject is one of strong intellectual
interest that has not received the critical scholarly attention it
deserves. We hope for a fruitful exchange of insights and ideas, and
an event that will attract a wide audience including art historians,
historians of the book, historians of cartography, special collections
librarians, dealers in rare books and maps, and collectors. The
conference is open to the public, and there is no fee to attend.

The conference program is available at:

http://www.library.upenn.edu/exhibits/lectures/paint_schedule.html

and the online registration form at:

http://www.library.upenn.edu/forms/eventsresponse11.html

We hope that you are able to attend what promises to be an interesting
and productive conference.

Best wishes,

Chet Van Duzer
https://independent.academia.edu/ChetVanDuzer