[ISHMap-List] responding to list posts...gift of map of China

Joel Kovarsky joel at theprimemeridian.com
Sat May 10 20:51:03 CEST 2014

Alexey,

Thank you for posting this response. I was aware of some of it, in
limited detail. I cannot imagine the gift itself was made to lecture
China about its border history, but it is instructive as to what can
happen with political circumstance and online reactions.

There was another article that got to some of what you mention:
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/04/01/merkel_map_message_china .
>From that piece:

"To be sure, the d'Anville map does not constitute a total contradiction
of the Chinese government's version of history. In 1735, the year when
the Qianlong Emperor began his six-decade reign, his Qing empire's
military prowess was on the ascent. Qianlong quelled a rebellion by
Muslims in the western region of Xinjiang, brought the Mongol tribes
under closer rule, and appointed officials to oversee affairs in Tibet
such as the selection of the Dalai Lama. In other words, Qianlong
established the trappings of imperial control over these peripheral
territories, which allowed later governments -- the Republic of China,
then the current People's Republic of China -- to claim sovereignty.
Maps published by Western countries in the 19th and early 20th centuries
vary in their presentations of Tibet and Xinjiang, but the Dower map is
certainly not alone in showing Xinjiang and Tibet as parts of the
Chinese empire."

       Joel