[ISHMap-List] Abbreviating reference to History of Cartography series

mapsgal mapsgal at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 23:13:01 CEST 2014

Dear Maphisters,

I have another bibliographic query. What is the best method using the
Chicago Manual of Style for abbreviating reference to the History of
Cartography volumes?
I am guessing that Matthew Edney has a good solution for this but I am
posting this publicly because the answer may help others preparing
bibliographies.

I am using the method copied below but I have to admit that it is
home-grown and I am wondering if others have a better solution. (Note:
Italics for titles are not coming through)

Thanks again for all insights,
Karen Pinto

HoC 1              The History of Cartography. Vol. 1, Cartography in
Prehistoric, Ancient, and Medieval Europe and the Mediterranean. Edited by
J. B. Harley and David Woodward. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press,
1987.

HoC 2.1            The History of Cartography. Vol. 2, Bk. 1., Cartography
in the Traditional Islamic and South Asian Societies. Edited by J. B.
Harley and David Woodward. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1992.

HoC 2.2            The History of Cartography. Vol. 2, Bk. 2., Cartography
in the Traditional East and Southeast Asian Societies. Edited by J. B.
Harley and David Woodward. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1994.

Example of specific bibliographic reference:

Aujac, Germaine. "The Foundations of Theoretical Cartography in Archaic and
Classical Greece." In HoC 1: 130-47.

Delano-Smith, Catherine. "Prehistoric Cartography in Asia." In HoC 2.2:
1-22.