[ISHMap-List] Fw: Map Sessions at Kalamazoo 2015

C Delano-Smith c.delano-smith at qmul.ac.uk
Thu Jul 10 17:22:06 CEST 2014

I have received the following Call for Papers for two map sessions at  next year’s %0th Internationa; Congress on Medieval Studies (May 14-17 2015) at Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA, which should be of interest to map historians.

Call for Papers: 50th International Congress on Medieval Studies (May 14-17, 2015), Kalamazoo, Michigan

Rethinking Medieval Maps I: The Unmapped, Marginalized and Fictitious

This panel is devoted to the cartography of spaces that are far—either geographically or conceptually—from the umbilicus terrae at Jerusalem and the seemingly well-known confines of Europe. Proposals are invited for papers that explore the less privileged aspects of medieval maps: the mapping of the unknown, negative space, and things omitted from
maps; the inhabitants of the margins, monsters, and marginalized peoples; and the cartography of the fictitious or counterfactual. While we seek papers that engage closely with the details of the maps themselves, we welcome proposals that highlight new approaches to maps across time and space.

Papers are expected to be amply illustrated with high-quality images of the maps discussed.

Please send your title and abstract (250 words), together with a short CV, to chet.van.duzer at gmail.com and LauraWhatley at ferris.edu by September 15, 2014.

---------------

Rethinking Medieval Maps II: Evidence for the Use and Re-Use of Maps

P.D.A. Harvey has written that "Medieval Europe was a society that functioned largely without maps"—and we take this statement as a call for a closer look at how medieval Europeans engaged with maps when they did resort to them. What evidence do we have, either from maps themselves, their contexts, or from textual sources, about how medieval maps were used? What about cases in which maps were designed for one purpose, but employed for another? What do these uses and re-uses tell us about the place of maps in medieval society, and their connection with broader developments in visual or material culture?

Papers are expected to be amply illustrated with high-quality images of the maps discussed.

Please send your title and abstract (250 words), together with a short CV, to chet.van.duzer at gmail.com and LauraWhatley at ferris.edu by September 15, 2014.

Please do not ask me anything about this—I am only the purveyor of information (although I am tempted by the second panel, an area close to my own maps in book interests).

Catherine

Dr Catherine Delano-Smith
Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Historical Research, University of London
Editor, IMAGO MUNDI The International Journal for the History of Cartography

For editorial matters, see IMAGO MUNDI's homepage at
http://www.maphistory.info/imago.html
For all matters relating to subscriptions and sales from the publishers,
Routledge (Taylor & Francis), see http://www.tandfonline.com/rimu
For access to back issues (1935 to 2002 inclusive, via JSTOR subscription)
see http://www.jstor.org/journals/03085694.html

Are you a member of ISHMap – The International Society for the
History of the Map? If not, here is the link: http://ishm.elte.hu