[Icacogvis] CogVis ICC 2023 Plans & CFP MapTap Study

Amy Griffin amy.griffin at rmit.edu.au
Wed Mar 22 00:38:53 CET 2023

RMIT Classification: Trusted

Hello everyone,

As you will have seen, ICC decisions are now out, and hopefully your paper(s) have been accepted!

For your forward planning, the CogVis commission will be holding a pre-conference event with the Commission on Visual Analytics. We will hopefully be ready to announce the details soon -- we are still waiting on the local arrangements folks to help us finalize the venue and then we will publish the details.

But in planning your travel, come to South Africa a few days early to participate in the workshop before the conference begins on 13 August. We have some fun activities planned for the workshop related to maps & AI.

We'd also like to draw your attention to a study about map app usage being run by one of our commission members and his students. Details about participating in the study are below and in the attached flier. Please distribute the study announcement through your networks. Note, you do not have to be a resident of Switzerland to participate, despite what the flyer says.

Cheers,

Amy

****

Participate in MapOnTap's Exciting Data Collection and Get Compensated!

Dear colleagues ,

We are thrilled to announce that we are running a new data collection for our project called MapOnTap.

We would like to invite you to participate!

As a PhD candidate in Geography at the University of Zurich, I am studying how people use map applications and developing a model that predicts when and what information is needed when using these applications. To do this, we ask participants to download our app, which will run in the background, and complete three questionnaires about spatial abilities/experience with gps system in our meeting.

This study will contribute significantly to our understanding of map app usage and improve the usability of map applications for everyone. As a thank you for participating, we are offering a voucher of 20 CHF to use on Google Playstore to all participants who complete the study.

This is an excellent opportunity to contribute to research and get rewarded for your time!

Please note that the app is only available for Android users.

To participate, please follow these simple steps:

  1.  Click on the following link to visit the study website: https://www.geo.uzh.ch/microsite/mapontap/#/<https://aus01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.geo.uzh.ch%2Fmicrosite%2Fmapontap%2F%23%2F&data=05%7C01%7Camy.griffin%40rmit.edu.au%7C349c6fa07b874c02b52508db2a183b5a%7Cd1323671cdbe4417b4d4bdb24b51316b%7C0%7C0%7C638150056559899336%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=NkKAErlKfJ1XOah56seObpFcTA8G6TgCmyZj0B69tOM%3D&reserved=0>.

  1.  Contact us on from the website writing MapOnTap Study 2

  2.  We will contact you soon with the details of the study and choose together best day/time to meet

  3.  You will complete the three questionnaires sent to you. It will take you maximum 1 hour.

  4.  You will install the app and allow it to run in the background (for just two weeks)

  5.  Receive your compensation after completing the study.

Please note that your participation is voluntary, and you may withdraw anytime.

We also guarantee that all information collected will be kept confidential and used for research purposes only.

Thank you for considering participating in our exciting study. Your participation is invaluable to us, and we look forward to hearing from you soon!

Best regards,

MapOnTap Team

Dr Amy L. Griffin | pronouns: she/hers
ICA Commission on Cognitive Issues in Geographic Information Visualization (CogViz) Co-Chair

Senior Lecturer of Geospatial Science
School of Science
RMIT University
GPO Box 2476