[Icacogvis] ICC 2021 & Pre-Conference Workshops

Amy Griffin amy.griffin at rmit.edu.au
Wed Nov 24 18:47:53 CET 2021

RMIT Classification: Trusted

Hello CogVizers,

We hope you are all doing ok, in whatever circumstances your respective countries find themselves in.

You may have seen that the preliminary schedule<https://www.icc2021.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/ICC_2021_Programma_preliminare_211116.pdf> for ICC 2021 is now available. The CogVis-related sessions are on Wednesday 15 December.

The Commission is also co-organising two pre-conference workshops in hybrid mode. Details about both of these workshops can be found below. If you plan to attend a workshop in person, you must register before 30 November.

We received news that all workshops organized at the University of Florence require early registration due to the COVID-19 pandemic. To access the University of Florence during the workshops and main conference, you will need to obtain a QR code issued by Unifi for each day of access to support contagion control. Thus, beyond the green pass issued by the health authorities, you also will need the QR code generated specifically for each day of access.

We hope to see you at the sessions and workshops, whether in-person or virtually.

Cheers,
Amy & Pyry & Petr

-------

The first workshop, in the morning on Monday 13 December, Sharing Cartographic Knowledge, is offered in cooperation with the ICA Commissions on SDI and Standards, Open Source Geospatial Technologies, and Geospatial Semantics.

A small group comprised of members of each of these commissions has been meeting regularly throughout 2021 and engaging with the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) to try to discover how we can bring cartographic expertise to the work of the OGC.

We are now at the point where we'd like input from a wider cross-section of the four commissions' memberships to help shape our future plans in working with OGC. If this sounds interesting to you, please join us at the workshop, and/or attend one of the two talks related to this work at the main conference.

Perspectives on Making Cartographic Knowledge Accessible to Software Developers

T13-4, Thursday 16 December, 17.00-18.45

Amy Griffin(1), Serena Coetzee, Petr Kubicek, Silvana Camboim, Dalia Varanka, Francis Harvey, Franz-Josef Behr, Jan Brus

Mapping in Words: Standardizing Cartographic Terminology

T21-2, Friday 17 December, 14:45-16:30

Serena Coetzee(1), Amy Griffin, Barend Köbben, Petr Kubicek, Francis Harvey, Dalia Veranka, Silvana Camboim,Franz-Josef Behr, Reese Plews, Harold Moellering, Terje Midtbo

Details about the workshop are available here<https://sdistandards.icaci.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Workshop-20211213-Schedule.pdf>.

You can register to attend the workshop here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSetd7kKf98PqApfXydKjoh3-N8wVEJMDDnVzRo-wIGxL6bd5Q/viewform>.

In person registrations close on 30 November to enable us to acquire the QR codes required to access the building in Florence.

-------

The second workshop, in the afternoon on Monday 13 December, Immersive Cartography / Cartography for Immersive Environments, is offered in cooperation with the ICA Commission on User Experience.

The workshop considers an understudied map use context: the use of maps to explore, interact with, and understand immersive virtual geographic environments. It’s unclear what current map design principles transfer well to immersive virtual environments or what methods of map interactions might best support the uses of maps in such contexts. Roth et al. (2017) addressed the research methods needed to study immersive map uses in ecologically valid ways. This workshop aims to focus attention on such issues and better understand and support the design, use, and broader implications for maps within immersive virtual environments.

The workshop includes three invited presentations and some live demos.

You can register to attend the workshop here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdDsexgPWiGov6ehPO2gIQlG3seHraLsLaWtdjI7AVfw2fazw/viewform>.

In person registrations close on 30 November to enable us to acquire the QR codes required to access the building in Florence.

-------

Dr Amy L. Griffin | pronouns: she/hers
ICA Commission on Cognitive Issues in Geographic Information Visualization (CogViz) Co-Chair

Senior Lecturer of Geospatial Science
School of Science
RMIT University
GPO Box 2476