[Hallgato] Fw: 2012 NACIS Student Mapping and Paper Competitions

Zentai Laszlo lzentai at caesar.elte.hu
2012. Ápr. 3., K, 12:49:37 CEST

Tisztelt Hallgatók!

Az alábbi angol nyelvű üzenetet ajánlom figyelmükbe pályázati lehetőségként.

Üdvözlettel:

Zentai László térképész, tanszékvezető egyetemi tanár
ELTE Térképtudományi és Geoinformatikai Tanszék
1117 Budapest, Pázmány Péter sétány 1/A
Tel: 2090555/6723, 3722975, fax: 3722951 - http://lazarus.elte.hu

Subject: 2012 NACIS Student Mapping and Paper Competitions

I hope all is well with you. I’d like to encourage you to let your cartography students know about the NACIS student mapping and paper competitions, in case they need something to keep busy with over the summer!  (I apologize in advance if you’ve also seen this on list-servs, but we wanted to get the widest distribution of the announcement possible).

The North American Cartographic Information Society announces its student competitions for 2012. Students of all levels are encouraged to consider entering their work in one of our three competitions.

1. Student Dynamic Mapping Competition

The North American Cartographic Information Society (NACIS) recognizes the importance of dynamic mapping in cartography. We are sponsoring the 14th Annual Student Dynamic Map Competition to promote cartographic excellence and innovation in this versatile medium.

There are two competition categories: narrative maps and interactive maps:

  a.. A narrative map presents information in a way that communicates a story, cause, or message.
  b.. An interactive map provides tools that may be used for navigation, location-based services, or exploratory geovisualization.

A first prize of $500 will be awarded to the best narrative map and the best interactive map. At the discretion of the judges, additional noteworthy maps may receive an honorable mention award. All first place and honorable mention maps will receive award certificates.

Any student enrolled in a certificate program, undergraduate, or graduate/post-graduate program in any country who has not previously won first prize in either of the categories from this contest may enter. Entries must be submitted by Friday 14 September 2012. Details of the competition and examples of past winners can be seen at: http://www.nacis.org/index.cfm?x=4.

2. NACIS Student Poster Competition

There is an opportunity for students working in print to participate, too, in the NACIS Student Poster Competition.

Posters are an effective way of sharing cartographic work in progress, showcasing community involvement, and demonstrating experiments with new technologies. Posters with a cartographic theme are wanted for this contest! All student posters submitted to the competition will be displayed at NACIS 2012. There is no entry fee. We appreciate advance registration so we can reserve display space for your poster. However, posters should be brought to the annual meeting by the student or another attendee or the student could arrange to ship the poster to the conference hotel (ATTN: NACIS POSTER SESSION) to arrive before Wednesday, October 17, 2012.

There will be one winner, who will be awarded $500. One runner-up will receive an honorable mention award.  NACIS meeting attendees will vote on entries and the winners will be announced at the conference. Other non-cash award honorable mentions may be given at the discretion of the Student Poster Competition Chair and the Poster Session Chair. All prize-winning and honorable mention posters will receive award certificates.

Any student enrolled in a certificate, undergraduate, or graduate program from a North American educational institution is encouraged to submit an entry. The poster must have been produced no earlier than the 2011-2012 academic year. Posters are to be no larger than 36" x 48". See http://www.nacis.org/index.cfm?x=18 for full details.

3. Peer-reviewed Student Paper Competition.

Finally, there is an opportunity for students to be recognized for their academic work that takes the form of a journal article.

Any peer-reviewed manuscript accepted for publication in CP (2012 issues) whose first author is a student is automatically eligible, with the student author of the winning paper being awarded $1,350. Student papers will be judged annually by members of the CP Editorial Board and the CP editor. There is still time to get your paper through the review process this year! CP is now open access, with fast publication of accepted papers. Reviews of submitted papers are returned to authors within 4-6 weeks of submission.

See http://www.cartographicperspectives.org/index.php/journal for information about how to submit a paper to CP.

Please feel free to forward this announcement to anyone else you think may be interested in seeing their students submit. If you’re involved in ICA commissions where students (or academics participating in the commission who have students) may be doing work that would be eligible, we would also appreciate it if you could forward our announcement to that commission’s chair for distribution to commission members.

--------- következő rész ---------
Egy csatolt HTML állomány át lett konvertálva...