[Hallgato] Fw: [geovis] A GIScience PhD opportunity at the University of St Andrews: Modelling geomagnetic bird navigation

Gede Mátyás saman at map.elte.hu
2018. Júl. 17., K, 11:44:56 CEST

From: Urska Demsar <urska.demsar at st-andrews.ac.uk>
To: "geovis at iais.fraunhofer.de" <geovis at iais.fraunhofer.de>
Sent: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 13:13:13 +0000
Subject: [geovis] A GIScience PhD opportunity at the University of St Andrews:
Modelling geomagnetic bird navigation

Dear colleagues,

I'm looking for a candidate for a 3-year fully-funded PhD studentship in
GIScience. The project is funded by the Leverhulme Trust and is a
collaboration between the University of St Andrews, Scotland, UK and the Max
Planck Institute for Ornithology in Radolfzell, Germany. The studentship
starts in October 2018.

The project will model how migratory birds use the information in the Earth’s
magnetic field to find their way during their long journeys. We will employ a
big data analytics approach to better understand what strategies the birds use
for their navigational feats. For this, we will collect real geomagnetic data
in UAV surveys and simulate bird navigation through these data using
Agent-Based Modelling. This is primarily a data science project, however, the
work will be fully informed with biological knowledge through the
collaboration with MPIO.

The project would suit an excellent candidate with an interest in movement
analytics and an MSc in GIScience/ Geoinformatics or a related discipline.
Prior experience with working with geomagnetic data (either from satellite or
terrestrial sources) is a plus.

More info here or in the attached pdf: https://wp.me/p4PBDq-4V

Application DL: 15 Aug 2018.

Note that this opportunity is limited to UK/EU citizens.

I would appreciate if you could, please, forward this ad to anyone who might
be interested. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Urska Demsar.

Dr Urska Demsar
Lecturer in Geoinformatics
School of Geography & Sustainable Development
University of St Andrews, Scotland, UK
@udemsar, http://udemsar.com

GEDE Mátyás
ELTE Térképtudományi és Geoinformatikai Tanszék, Budapest