Terms of Reference 2015-2019
The commission aims, internationally, to:
In 2015-2019 it will further these aims by:
- promote the use and enjoyment of maps by children and
- increase understanding of children and young people's
engagement with maps;
- raise the standard of maps and atlases produced for
children and young people.
- disseminating the outcomes of research into map use by
children and young people. Deliverable: an
enhanced set of online bibliography and web links on cartography and
- developing stronger links between the ICA and relevant
international and regional organizations related to Cartography and
Children. Deliverable: following
the contacts with the Commission for Geography Education of the
International Geographical Union and other international/regional
- stimulating a debate on the different aspects of
cartography for children in interest of collecting and publishing (in
digital or/and printed format) the research results. Deliverable: representing the commission in events
and publications related to this theme.
- following the promotion of the use of web-based
cartographic solutions for the geovisualization of data in School
Cartography, including the use of GIS software in schools.
Deliverable: representing the
commission in events and publications related to this theme.
- providing support to the ICA Executive in relation to
the rules, judging and
other tasks related to the Barbara Petchenik Children's World Map
Competition. Deliverable: appropriate
support as required